Michael W. De Sa Memorial Scholarship
Michael De Sa served as superintendent of the Walnut Creek School District (WCSD) for 12 years. When he passed away in 2006, his family requested that donations be made in his name to WCEF and that a memorial scholarship for Las Lomas High School seniors be administered by the Foundation. The scholarship fund has continued to grow through generous donations. The Michael W. De Sa Memorial Scholarship is a one-time scholarship for $2,000 and honors outstanding students dedicated to pursuing their passion for life, leadership and community service. The award is presented during the annual Las Lomas High School Senior Awards Banquet in May.
- Open to Las Lomas High School (LLHS) seniors who are graduating in 2017 and attended Walnut Creek School District schools from kindergarten through 8th grade.
- Minimum of 2.8 unweighted GPA.
- Participation in at least one extra-curricular activity at LLHS.
- Participation in an identifiable community service project for LLHS or the general community. Community service may be ongoing service or a specific project at LLHS or in the greater community. Service examples include (but are not limited to) organizing Habitat for Humanity projects, spearheading campus beautification projects, serving as student body officer, working at Teen Crisis Center, participating in church youth group, volunteering at senior center, etc.
- Demonstration of good citizenship, sportsmanship, and/or leadership qualities.
- Intention to use the scholarship toward an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or vocational school.
How to Apply:
View the 2017 Scholarship Application. The applicant must submit the applicaton to Mrs. Smith in the College/Career Center no later than April 14, 2017 at 3:15pm.
- For more information, please contact Ellen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past De Sa Memorial Scholarship Recipients:
- 2016 Jack Kane—Colorado State University
- 2015 Isabella Younger—San Diego State University
- 2014 Jordan Menkes—California State University Chico
- 2013 Sarah Borchardt—University of Oregon
- 2012 Callard Cowdery—University of St. Andrews
- 2011 Kyle Ong—University of California, Berkeley
- 2010 Melissa Bartow—University of California, San Diego
- 2009 Jason Zavaleta—San Francisco State University
- 2008 Jessica Goodman—Cal State Northridge
- 2007 Tyler Duncan—University of Colorado