Frequently Asked Questions

What is WCEF?

WCEF is a volunteer-led, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Tax I.D. #94-2915151. We raise funds through a broad-based community effort to support quality academic and enrichment programs and student support services for all students attending schools in the Walnut Creek School District and at Las Lomas High School in the Acalanes Union High School District. K-8 schools in the WCSD feed directly into Las Lomas High School.

WCEF’s volunteer board consists of an executive committee, trustees and advisory members. WCEF is also supported by three part-time paid staff members – an executive director, a data manager and a bookkeeper.

What if the suggested $500/student donation is more than our family can afford?

Don’t forget – your contribution can be broken into 12 monthly, easier to pay installments. However, if your family cannot meet the $500 per student ask, please consider contributing an amount that works with your family’s budget. Any amount that you give to WCEF is an investment in your child’s education.

Is my donation to WCEF tax deductible?

Yes. The Walnut Creek Education Foundation is a California non-profit, public benefit, corporation. It is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The federal tax ID number for the foundation (EIN) is #94-2915151. All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.

Which schools benefit from the programs that WCEF funds?

WCEF funds programs at all of the schools in the Walnut Creek School District and Las Lomas High School, part of the Acalanes Union High School District.  To view our schools, click here.

What programs are being funded for the current school year?

View the funded programs in the Walnut Creek School District.

View the funded programs at Las Lomas High School

How is funding determined?

Funding needed to preserve or enhance basic curriculum is identified and prioritized as a collaborative process between WCEF, the Walnut Creek School District, Acalanes Union High School District and school administrators. Funding decisions are based on each district’s budgetary needs and made on an annual basis for the following school year.

What percentage of the money raised goes to the schools and what percent covers administrative costs?

Administrative expenses for WCEF are low because volunteers do the majority of work. Current administrative costs represent less than 12% of the total budgeted foundation funds. The remaining 88% goes directly to the schools we serve. To view our financial information, click here.

What is the difference between parent group (PTA/PTO/PTSA) fundraising and WCEF?

In 2015 the Walnut Creek School District approved a collaborative fundraising model. WCEF does the heavy lifting by funding programs like the Science Specialists, Art, Music, PE, additional library hours and class size reduction.  The parent organizations associated with each school raise money for programs that make their school unique, like assemblies, camp experiences and more.. The programs provided by the parent organizations at the individual schools are supplemental to the programs that WCEF funds.

Funding from the state of California currently provides only 81 percent of our schools’ budgets. Although some additional funding comes from a mix of federal and local resources provided by parcel taxes, much of the remaining 19 percent is generated by school parent groups and WCEF.

To sustain the academic enrichment programs and student services essential to the distinguished schools our children enjoy today, it is vital our community base supports BOTH organizations to the best of their ability.

How does California’s funding formula impact our schools?

California’s education budget cuts impact academic programs, student support services, enrichment programs, and teachers and staff. To learn more about the California curriculum and fiscal impacts to our districts, visit the California Department of Education, the Walnut Creek School District and the Acalanes Union High School District websites.

Will my employer match my contribution to WCEF?

Many companies match charitable donations from their employees, which can double, or even triple the amount that WCEF receives as a result of your donation. To find out whether your company offers a corporate matching gift program, search this database or check with your company’s Human Resources department.  If you have questions about how to make a matching donation to WCEF, contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Why does WCEF print a list of donors’ names? Can I give anonymously?

Every donor makes a difference, and each gift deserves to be acknowledged. Many people new to the District, or to WCEF, give because they are prompted not by us, but by you. Seeing your name on a public acknowledgement tells people who know and respect you that you have lent your support to our efforts. That usually means more than all the emails we can send.

You can give anonymously to WCEF by noting it on your donation form or checking the box on the online form. We will honor your request and your name will not be published in our donor acknowledgements.

Can I direct my donation to only fund programs at the specific elementary school my child attends?

No. WCEF was established to fund District-wide educational programs which provides academic and student support continuity for all students in grades K-12. Because we work closely and collaboratively with the Districts and schools to identify funding needs – and allocate money accordingly – you can be assured that the money you contribute will directly benefit the quality of funded programs and services at your child(ren)’s school(s).